[bksvol-discuss] Re: Question on Scan quality for blind vs other types of disabled bookshare readers

  • From: "Estelnalissi" <airadil@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 4 Feb 2008 18:59:48 -0500

Dear Carrie and Booksharian Friends,

I agree with you, Carrie, that It helps sighted readers, particularly those
with low vision or reading difficulties, to have chapter headings in a font
that stands out from the text.

I standardize the text, by highlighting all of it to the end of the file
starting with the first page of the story.Then as I read through I put chapter
headings in a larger font like size 20 bold. I use my judgment with subheadings
and signs and other material I suspect is enlarged and make it easier to spot
visually by making it size 16 regular.

I think it's easier for sighted readers to visually identify indented
paragraphs so I indent them 3 spaces, knowing I'm really wasting time because I
think the tools omit the indents.

This does lead to a formatting question I've been wondering about. When word is
set to indent the first line, it also indents the page numbers and these are
hard to move to the left margin. The only way I know of doing it is to
highlight enough lines that one line that is flush with the left margin and the
line with the page number are included. Then I alt o and down arrow once to
paragraph and set the margin to left justify, and the values to zero and enter
on OK. That fixes the page number but then I have to indent any paragraphs
which were left justified in the process.

I'm not sure I've explained this very well. On the pages where the first line
of text starts on the left margin, the page number is against the left margin,
too. If the first line is indented, then the page number is directly above that
first word and is indented as well.

I'm not sure if it's a good use of time for me to mess with the settings to
move that page number a few spaces to the left so all of them will uniformly
appear in the first space on the line against the left margin.

Always with love,

Lissi