[bksvol-discuss] OT: Mainstreaming

  • From: "Julie Morales" <mercy421@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 21 Nov 2005 15:59:52 -0500

Hi, Cindy. It's interesting. There are two sides to every coin, of course.
My husband was educated in California, and the school system he attended put
all blind students in a self-contained classroom. This infuriated me. I'm
all for self-containment when a student needs it for whatever reason, but
nothing makes me more upset than to hear kids are forced into that kind of
sheltered environment for no other reason than that people just don't know
how to deal with them so figure it'll be easier to have them all in one
place. My husband grew up not knowing how to interact with sighted kids, not
socializing with them. Besides that, he was academically deprived, and when
he takes college courses, he's taking academic development classes...things
he should have learned in high school but didn't. I think the academic
development classes are great, but when he's forced to take them just
because he wasn't properly taught when he should have been...don't get me
started on the educational slights we sometimes go through! *grin* Take
care.
Julie Morales
To be in your children's memories tomorrow, you need to be in their lives
today. -- Unknown
mercy421@xxxxxxxxxxx
Windows/MSN Messenger (but not email):
mercy0421@xxxxxxxxxxx