[bksvol-discuss] Re: OT: Mainstreaming

  • From: "E." <thoth93@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 21 Nov 2005 16:16:26 -0500

I participated in what I consider a good mix. I went to classes with sighted kids most of the time but had a class a day where the blind kids were all in one room learning braille, working on spelling and particular things useful and different in teaching for blind compared with sighted children. This was in grades one through four. I went to regular main streamed high school and had a teacher come in one hour a day to help out. The combination gave me the assistance I needed, taught me to be independent and find needed resources (like how to hire readers for college and get books) and be mainstreamed. I know my parents worked closely with the school system to make this possible. Considering we moved about ever two or three years this meant several school systems. They did a terrific job. I attribute much of my later success to this careful early planning and dedication on their part.

E.