[bksvol-discuss] Re: OT: Mainstreaming

  • From: Cindy <popularplace@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 21 Nov 2005 20:09:11 -0800 (PST)

--I'm glad to see that so many of you had (have?)
parents who were not ashamed of you and did work
hard--and it's often necessary to push and push when
dealing with public school systems.

Kasondra, your post reminded me of the debate that
was, and perhaps still is, going on in the deaf
community as to whether children should or should not
learn sign language. I would think that both sign
language and lip-reading and and speech would be
desirable.

I know at least a couple of your are both blind and
deaf. May I ask, how did you manage in school? Did you
go to a regular public school?

Of course all of you may have some physical
disability, but thank goodness your mental abilities
are unimpaired, so you could be on the same
educational level as your non-disabled classmates.