  From: Donna Goodin
  To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  Sent: Monday, November 21, 2005 8:50 AM
  Subject: [bksvol-discuss] OT: A blast from the past

  Hi all,

    Sorry for sending yet another OT post, but I have a situation that I
thought folks from this list might be able to help with.

    Last night my husband was working out in the garage, and stumbled upon the
old Perkins Brailler that my parents bought me when I was just starting school.
I have to say, these things are truly amazing, and could almost convince one to
become a Ludite. They're built like tanks! I've had mine for over thirty-five
years, and it still works as well as it did the day I got it! Now i can't think
of *anything you could buy today that would last that long. Don't get me wrong,
I wouldn't really want to trade in my PC or Pacmate and go back to the old
days, but I think we really lost something when we traded in durability and
longevity for a throw-away culture.

    Anyway, my little musings aside, I don't want this thing to just go into a
land-fill somewhere, but I'm honestly not sure I'd ever use it again. Does
anyone know someone or someplace that might actually have a use for it?
  Thanks,
  Donna