[bksvol-discuss] Re: OT: Mainstreaming

  • From: Cindy <popularplace@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 21 Nov 2005 19:55:00 -0800 (PST)

I agree, Julie, that kids who are blind or deaf but
not develomentally challenged could and should be
mainstreamed. I think that's good for both that child
and the non-disabled children. I don't think we had
any blind children and any of my children's schools
from K - 12, but we did have several deaf kids in the
various years I worked at the middle school, including
one who was born deaf and therefore had some speech
difficulties. They were mainstreamed and gotr along
very well; they were also very bright. We also had a
young lady who was extremely short. I can't really say
that she was a little person, because her height, I
think, was a function of whatever disease it was that
she had--which unfortunately meant that she would--and
did, die very young--while she was still in middle
school. She was very popular with everybody and did
very well in school. Her only problem was getting to
classes on time, since our school is spread over quite
a wide campus and required a lot of walking. She
solved that problem by leaving her classes abou 5
minutes early and hurrying.  After she died, the next
year her brother, with the same condition, started
missle school.

I think having children with disabilities, even
mentally developmental ones in certain non-academic
classes, is a good thing for the "normal" kids. They
learn what the other kids are capable of and develop
understanding, not pity or, as some of you have told
not rudeness or fear or insensitivity.

Cindy