[bksvol-discuss] Re: How to be a black belt validater?

  • From: "Monica Willyard" <rhyami@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 10 Nov 2008 16:32:27 -0500

More to the point, the stripper and Bookshare acceptance tools are being
rewritten and are coming live soon, hopefully before my next birthday. So
any new policies based on the current stripper will be a band-aid and could
create confusion affecting books for years, long after the initial reason
for the policy has been removed. That's why I think the current practice of
putting a page number, a blank line, and then the chapter name or number
works well and would still be acceptable if the books are processed with any
new Bookshare tools in the future. Inserting extra words changes the book,
and the use of the word chapter above the chapter heading could end up
looking really strange if the stripper isn't around to remove it.

Unlike Roger, I don't want to hear the word "page" while I'm reading. I
definitely wouldn't want to keep seeing it in Braille. I want to hear and
see nothing but the text, actual page number,  and chapter headings. Doing a
global removal of the word "page" wouldn't work very well since the book may
use that word as part of the text. It would be one more thing to mentally
filter out as background noise.

Monica Willyard