[AR] Solid propellant regulation questions

  • From: Paul Mueller <paul.mueller.iii@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: arocket@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 20 Sep 2015 14:25:40 -0600

There has been a bit of discussion about casting solid motors at the launch
site to avoid legal complications with transport/storage. At our annual
Intercollegiate Rocket Engineeriing Competition, many teams transport
commercial and homemade solid motors to the event and we have left the
legal compliance up to them. I would like to be better informed about the
laws and regulations concerning this (and some related questions), so if
anyone can help answer any of these questions I would very much appreciate
it:

What are the requirements to purchase AP andor powdered aluminum for APCP
motors? Some web sites won't ship both to one buyer, others require ID
(faxed driver license) before selling. Some types of powdered aluminum (and
magnesium) seem to be restricted while others are not.

"Igniters" are on the US Munitions List, yet you can buy Estes igniters
over the counter and some e-matches online. Some e-matches require a LEUP,
but are there types that do not? By having a LEUP, does this “exempt” you
from the USML?

We can buy potassium nitrate over the counter here in Utah. Are there
restrictions in other states?

What are the requirements for shipping a homemade solid motor via USPS or
other carriers (UPS, FedEx, etc.)?

What are the requirements for carrying a homemade solid motor in a vehicle
in most states and across state lines (Federal)?

What additional restrictions are there for non-US persons? Are non-US
persons allowed to be in possession of a commercial solid motor? A homemade
solid motor? Igniters? Are they allowed to purchase ammonium perchlorate,
ammonium nitrate, potassium nitrate, or powdered aluminum or magnesium? If
so, are there other requirements?