[AR] Re: Solid propellant regulation questions

  • From: Edward Wranosky <edwardcw@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: arocket@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 24 Sep 2015 15:03:01 -0600

I hear shipping as 'Model Aircraft Parts' works...

Edward

On Thu, Sep 24, 2015 at 2:54 PM, Anthony Cesaroni <acesaroni@xxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

The material would not be in commerce if you are following the rules and
as an end user, you are exempt from DOT commercial transportation
requirements. DO NOT placard. It is not required and you may only attract
attention to yourself and possibly complicate matters unnecessarily. The
safest and preferred method when producing class 1 APCP materials for
experimental end use, is to produce and use them on site and not transport
them if possible.

Best.

Anthony J. Cesaroni

President/CEO

Cesaroni Technology/Cesaroni Aerospace

http://www.cesaronitech.com/

(941) 360-3100 x101 Sarasota

(905) 887-2370 x222 Toronto

*From: *rclague@xxxxxxxxx

*Date: *Wed, 23 Sep 2015 09:04:02 +0000

*To: *<arocket@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

*ReplyTo: *rclague@xxxxxxxxx

*Subject: *Re: [AR] Re: Solid propellant regulation questions

It's on the page I cited earlier, in Appendix A Definitions, second
definition Commerce. I'm looking for the specific CFR section that drives
that line on the web page. (While that web page, coming as it does from
DOT, may be presumed to be authoritative, it is basically a user's guide
and does not have the force of law.)

BTW, 49 CFR 171.1(d)(6) contains the exemption for private individuals in
private vehicles.

-R

------------------------------

*From: *Bruce Beck <bbeck7@xxxxxxxxx>

*Sender: *arocket-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

*Date: *Tue, 22 Sep 2015 23:08:52 -0600

*To: *<arocket@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

*ReplyTo: *arocket@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Please reference the part of the law that says crossing state lines means
you are in commerce.

On Tue, Sep 22, 2015 at 10:28 PM, <rclague@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

The DOT site
https://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/regulations/hazardous-materials/how-comply-federal-hazardous-materials-regulations
is surprisingly comprehensible. Note, if you try to read the whole thing in
one sitting, you will get discouraged. Take it in small bites.

One caveat to Anthony's reply: carrying something across a state line is
carrying it "in commerce," by definition. That's one of the reasons ERPS
flew KISS out of MTA instead of out of Black Rock.

One response to overregulation is to "just do it." Buy the placards, type
up the shipping papers, etc. This approach has much to recommend it. But.

It's always a good idea to have shipping papers: to write them, you need
answers to questions not every amateur thinks to ask. Having shipping
papers also goes a long way toward reassuring the highway patrol you know
what you're doing, if you should happen to get pulled over. "Yes, officer,
I'm so-and-so, with group such-and-such. We're on our way to <where> with
<nouns> to <verb>. We're actually exempt from the hazmat regulations
because <reason>, but there's good advice in there, which we took. Fire
extinguisher is over here, another one over here just in case, face
shields, gloves, non-sparking hammer, all natural fabrics... Here are the
shipping papers, manifest, MSDS, copy of the hazmat regulations (if it's
visibly indexed and cross-referenced, so much the better), we have Chemtrex
on speed dial, do you want us to give you a call when we get there? It's no
trouble." (If they don't know the shipping papers and the manifest are the
same thing, or that the MSDS is included, that's on them.)

However. Placarding is not a "just do it." You are required to placard if
you are carrying something subject to the hazmat regs. And you are
prohibited from placarding if you are not carrying something subject to the
hazmat regs. You can't just post a placard and check off that box. You have
to actually sit down and figure out which side of the line you're on. That
can be difficult, because the regs weren't written for amateurs carrying
their own rocket propellant.

If you're subject to placard requirements, you're also subject to several
other requirements. Complying with the former creates the impression that
you're subject to the latter, and some of the latter may be out your price
range. Also, a placard on a private vehicle will get a highway patrolman's
attention right away. ERPS didn't placard, and if anyone got pulled over,
they didn't tell me about it.

If you don't placard, and you get pulled over, they may ask why you didn't
placard. "That's a good idea, and we wanted to, but we're not allowed to.
It's here in Part 172..."

Oh, another requirement you won't have to meet but it's a good idea:
training documentation. Print the MSDS and any handling instructions you
might have, have a meeting, and walk through them. Write down everyone's
name, what you talked about, and the date. You've just documented a
training session. If you're working out of someone's book, you can call it
a textbook and do the same thing.

-R

------------------------------

*From: *"Anthony Cesaroni" <acesaroni@xxxxxxxxxxx>

*Sender: *arocket-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

*Date: *Tue, 22 Sep 2015 18:28:40 -0400

*To: *<arocket@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

*ReplyTo: *arocket@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Paul,

Your questions aren’t dumb. It’s just they require a bit of typing to
answer reasonably accurately. My comments below cover a very tiny bit of an
answer but I’ll try.

I will tell you that shipping homemade propellants/explosives of any kind
by commercial carrier is illegal. You must have a DOT classification, EX
number and shipping specification in order to do so. The only exception is
for small quantities to be shipped under specific conditions to the DOT or
one of its accredited labs for classification. This unless they are willing
to accept associative classification by formula and configuration
submission. That is getting harder to do these days and the best you may
expect is class 1.3 which is a real expensive proposition in terms of
shipping costs. It doesn’t matter if it’s an M motor or a sounding rocket,
it’s a dedicated truck with a lot of provisos and fuel surcharges. It costs
$15K to ship a motor from my main plant to WSMR or KSC etc. for example so
we usually piggyback the run to help reduce costs. If your motors are small
and you’ve gone through all these steps, you can apply for a DOT special
permit or SP number. This allows you to ship as class 1.4 for example but
only under strict conditions and carrier limitations. These only have basis
in the U.S. so don’t even consider export using them. One unusual SP is
8451, otherwise known as the pipe bomb exemption. It allows you to ship up
to 25 grams of unclassified material in a threaded closed pressure rated 3”
pipe packed in a UN spec. plywood case that weighs about 75 pounds and
you’ll need a good reason to do so. The theory is that 25 grams of PETN
won’t defeat it so most other explosives shouldn’t. I’m not sure if it’s
been tested with Hexanitrohexaazaisowurtzitane (CL20) or if they would
allow it.

You can only legally transport “unregulated”, homemade, APCP that you have
made yourself on a public highway in your private vehicle. You cannot sell
it or have a commercial carrier transport it otherwise it is considered “in
commerce” and you can get in very deep trouble if you get caught doing so.
Then there are also potential liability, local AHJ, knee jerk law
enforcement, environmental and legal issues that I won’t even begin to try
and explain here, particularly if something goes wrong. The technically
illiterate media will make matters even worse.

Regarding initiators and ignitors. There are BATF “unregulated” fuse
heads commercially available. They still have a shipping classification and
it’s generally 1.4S. The reason that some are unregulated is they consist
of a thermite based energetic composition that is not on the ATF explosives
list. Anything that falls under the USML is under the jurisdiction of the
DDTC at the state department. They have no sense of humor and the inside
moto is “bring us a man, we will find the crime”. If it’s dual use, you
have the department of commerce to worry about. In both cases this general
applies if you are manufacturing or providing services for the military but
most importantly, if you are exporting any form of technology that falls
under their jurisdiction. They can make rules up as they go along BTW and
you don’t have to physically export the technology to get busted. Even
telling or showing an non-US person anything ITAR, USML, MTCR technical
data, it’s considered an export and can you busted. A U.S. person is a U.S.
citizen, U.S. permanent resident or lawfully admitted refugee.

A lot of propellant precursor chemicals have got a bad name and receive a
lot of scrutiny due some end user, bad actors, often but not always
associated with homemade pyrotechnics. In a few cases the vendors of these
materials have been made example out of by AHJs. Fine dark German aluminum
and a few others associated with flash compositions got the ball rolling.
Flake is a bad choice for propellant BTW due to rheology issues but has
shown some benefit in certain gas generator and weird hybrid configurations
that I won’t get into here. If your formulating classical HTPB composite
propellants, I wouldn’t waste your time with potassium perchlorate. High
pressure exponents and reduced C* are just two of its disadvantages. Start
with proven AP based formulas, test and learn to characterize before
experimenting with more problematic compounds.

If you are aware of these legalities, practice the hobby with safety being
the priority. Experimental propellants can be an enjoyable, safe and
rewarding activity. RRS, PRS, Tripoli et al have groups with experience in
this area and are a good place to start contacting for further information.
Watch all your digits, stick to the rules, ask for help from those with
experience and enjoy.

Hope this helps.

From: rclague@xxxxxxxxx
Date: Mon, September 21, 2015 9:28 pm