[AR] Re: Solid propellant regulation questions

  • From: Paul Mueller <paul.mueller.iii@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: arocket@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 22 Sep 2015 10:49:41 -0600

Crickets as in.....total silence except for a few crickets....? Yeah, I was
wondering if maybe the questions were so dumb that no one bothered to
answer them because everyone knows the answers!

I'm not looking for legal advice, just anyone's experience with these and
where to go find some information (regulations, etc.). The US Munitions
List is such a catch-all that it's hard to know what's really verboten and
what's not (igniters are a good example).

John, thanks for the info re UN class of material. I'm vaguely familiar
with UN numbers but I'll research that more.

Bruce, I'm in Logan, UT.

"These are the kinds of questions people usually get paid to answer..."--I
guess that's true. A little soapboxing here--it's a shame our government
can't make its laws and regulations easy for its law-abiding citizens to
find and understand, especially since "ignorance of the law is no defense."

On Tue, Sep 22, 2015 at 2:01 AM, Monroe L. King Jr. <
monroe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

They are all good questions and I could give you some answers to them
BUT!

I'm not a legal entity

The rules can change or be different in your location depending on state
and county. There can be state and local laws that might surprise you.

I don't want to be responsible for the answers you have received.

I keep up with the legal bit for my team and it depends on quite a few
factors.

If your a serious rocketeer the best you can do really is cover your
launch site and transport to/from there.

There are several entities you need to be straight with for large
quantities of propellant.

It can be pretty complicated or it can be pretty simple depending on
what your doing.

It's safer for you to find out for yourself.

These are the kinds of questions people usually get paid to answer...

-R

From: "Anthony Cesaroni" <acesaroni@xxxxxxxxxxx>

Sender: arocket-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Date: Mon, 21 Sep 2015 23:28:35