[AR] Re: Solid propellant regulation questions

  • From: "David W. Schultz" <david.schultz@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: arocket@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 25 Sep 2015 19:08:57 -0500

On 09/25/2015 05:42 PM, Paul Mueller wrote:

Wow, this whole thing is a total mess. I would like to follow the rules
but it ain't easy--for example, if there's an exception for HPR and/or
Estes igniters in the ATF explosives list, I don't see it.

The only hint at an exception is a report from a meeting between the NAR
and ATF back in the 90's.
(http://web.archive.org/web/19991124202749/www.nar.org/NARfrompres9702.html)
That indicated that the ATF wouldn't regulate igniters with less than a
few milligrams of pyrogen.

Something that was never put in writing.

But Estes recently dropped the energetic materials from their igniters
so for them it no longer matters.

--
David W. Schultz
Returned for Regrooving