[AR] Re: Ozone layer was Re: Removing Coking Deposits

  • From: Henry Spencer <hspencer@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Arocket List <arocket@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 26 Sep 2016 22:39:25 -0400 (EDT)

On Wed, 21 Sep 2016, Peter Fairbrother wrote:

And wrong about that. Oh dear.
Is there no hope for horizontalists?

Perhaps some faint hope. :-) There are some advantages to be had there, even though they are often overstated.

I hope you haven't joined the SSTO club though :)

I hate to disappoint you, but I'm a lifetime member. :-)

Indeed, "very poorly populated" is probably an understatement.  Mach 6
at 100km is beyond anything ever done with a WWJ.  Even the X-15
couldn't do that (either one, but not both simultaneously).

One saving grace, perhaps - it's not a Mach 6 aircraft. By the time it reaches ~ Mach 4 it's operating as a pure rocket, in near-vacuum.

Helpful though that is in some ways, it's a disadvantage in others. In particular, I think it means you'll need rocket thrust vectoring (or a very hefty RCS) for control. I don't think that's ever been done in a rocket aircraft before; the X-15 high-altitude flights were all ballistic trajectories, with the noisy flamey part :-) finishing at much lower altitude where aerodynamic controls still worked. Nothing fundamentally hard about it, but it's another design complication (and potentially a heavy one).

And it doesn't cruise supersonically either, it's all just brief spurts.

Agreed; my SST example was just an example of the sort of unexpected issue you can run into when a straightforward-seeming WWJ is actually pretty much outside past experience for such things.

Hmmm if the X-!6 could do 2kps... a larger, more modern, craft should have room for some more fuel...

Remember that the X-15 was air-launched. If you do likewise, you'll need a pretty hefty launch aircraft. If you want to operate from the ground, you'll need considerably more fuel just to match the X-15.

Mind you, you could boost performance quite noticeably just by using a better fuel. Basically by historical accident, the X-15 burned ammonia, which is not great on either density or Isp. Switching to some nice dense hydrocarbon like RJ-5 (and adjusting tank proportions for the changed mixture ratio) would help significantly.