[AR] Re: Ozone layer was Re: Removing Coking Deposits

  • From: Peter Fairbrother <zenadsl6186@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: arocket@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 20 Sep 2016 16:00:48 +0100

On 20/09/16 04:39, Henry Spencer wrote:

On Tue, 20 Sep 2016, Peter Fairbrother wrote:

I like wings wheels and jets for the first stage, but if you prefer a
SpaceX/Blue Origin style vertical landing that's OK. WWJ gets you back
in the air much quicker though.

That last is an assumption, not a self-evident fact.  Nobody's yet built
a VTVL rocket that can do really fast turnaround, but then, nobody's yet
built a 100km Mach 6 airplane that can do that either.

Yes - however there are reasons to think a WWJ (with pilots) would have a faster turnaround.

First of all, weather - it does seem evident that a WWJ can operate in higher winds than a VTVL.

Second, landing site vs takeoff site. A WWJ can takeoff, fly backtrack on jets before turning forward for main boost phase, and then glide to land at the same site where it took off from - avoiding the transport problems and time involved in landing several hundred miles away from its takeoff point. I don't think a VTVL can do that.

Even if that was not possible, I don't think a VTVL can be refuelled, recargoed, and take off from the spot where it landed. Might be wrong. But I'm pretty sure a WWJ can taxi to the refuelling/recargoing point.

Plus, if you want to move WWJs round on the earth for operational, maintenance etc reasons, then you just fly them wherever you want them. VTVLs would need a transporter.

All too
plausibly, it could end up being less like a 747 and more like a B-58
(the plane whose operating costs were too high, and dispatch reliability
too low, for even the USAF).

I'd expect the first version to be more like Concord - technologically it works, but it isn't optimum.

But supersonic flight in large aircraft is fundamentally not the same as space launch; acceptable alternatives to supersonic flight in large aircraft include subsonic flight (as happened with the Hustler being taken over by the B-52), whereas for a WWJ/VTVL the alternatives are a different space launch system, or not going.

There ain't no cheap way to do it.

Plus, WWJ becomes economic at much less than a million flights per year. Probably a little higher than VTVL, but still much less than a million flights per year.

"This *isn't* just like an airplane." --
Jeff Greason.

No, but a WWJ is a lot more like an airplane, with the millions of man-tears experience of building and operating airplanes, than a VTVL is.

-- Peter Fairbrother

A note on the Hustler - I heard that the reported 3x the cost of the B-52 high operating costs were calculated to include in-flight refuelling - without which flight costs per hour were only about 30% higher than the B-52, If they had been based closer to target, the operating costs would be much less than the reported 3x the cost of the B-52.

I conjecture that at high speed, without refuelling, flight costs per mile may have actually been less than the B-52, though I don't know whether that is true or not.

But the SA-2 killed the B-58, without firing a single shot at it.