[AR] Re: Ozone layer was Re: Removing Coking Deposits

  • From: Henry Spencer <hspencer@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Arocket List <arocket@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 27 Sep 2016 11:43:25 -0400 (EDT)

On Tue, 27 Sep 2016, Peter Fairbrother wrote:

I hope you haven't joined the SSTO club though :)
I hate to disappoint you, but I'm a lifetime member. :-)

Oh dear -perhaps you might explain?

To cut a very long story short: (a) it would have major operational advantages; (b) although it's not easy, it shouldn't be impossibly hard either, despite the superstitions (the performance levels needed for *expendable* SSTO were achieved in production hardware fifty years ago; the only serious challenge is making it reusable); (c) the main reason it has never been done is that nobody has ever been able to get adequate funding to *try*.

...I think it means you'll need rocket thrust vectoring (or a
very hefty RCS) for control.  I don't think that's ever been done in a
rocket aircraft before; the X-15 high-altitude flights were all
ballistic trajectories, with the noisy flamey part :-) finishing at much
lower altitude where aerodynamic controls still worked...

Didn't the X-15 have a HTP RCS? Perhaps they didn't use it for high altitude flights, though I can't think why.

The X-15 indeed had an HTP RCS, for the *ballistic* part of the high-altitude flights. It was nowhere near beefy enough to be used for attitude control during a main-engine burn in vacuum (something the X-15 never did).

Spacecraft with solid-fuel kick motors often were spin-stabilized for kick-motor burn, but the ones that weren't, typically had two sets of RCS thrusters: little ones for normal operations, big ones for attitude control during kick-motor burn. Something like that might be needed for a rocketplane that's going to do major thrusting in air too thin for aerodynamic control.