[AR] Re: Ozone layer was Re: Removing Coking Deposits

  • From: Henry Vanderbilt <hvanderbilt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: arocket@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 27 Sep 2016 13:57:07 -0700

On 9/27/2016 1:25 PM, John Dom wrote:

There was something technologically wrong with the X-33 composite hydrogen
tanks IIRC. Didn't they leak?

Leaked? Try the outer skin delaminated and split wide open during test. (Let's see if I can attach this old photo...)

Such a pity we never saw that aerospike take
off and fly. I wonder why nobody had other ideas for it.

The X-33 J-2 aerospike variant ended up hugely overweight. The number's around here somewhere, but it was on the rough order of twice a stock J-2's weight. A major factor in the X-33 performance dropping back to single-stage-to-Utah (before it dropped further to single-stage-to-the-scrapheap) as they kept having to add nose ballast to keep the CG within limits as engine weight grew.