Re: [ARMini-support] Occasional crashes

  • From: Ross McGuinness <citroen@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: armini-support@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 26 Dec 2014 07:37:46 +0800

On 26/12/14 5:57 AM, Chris Bell (Lists) wrote:
Adrian Lees <a.lees@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
My understanding was that the PandaBoard port was relatively immature
- although perhaps I am out of touch - and I would be surprised if,
from what I've read, it turned out to be an hardware problem.
[Snip]

Thanks for this, and other, input to this thread.

I no longer feel alone although no-one, as yet, with a 'pure' ARMNiniX
(which has a different release Pandaboard) has reported the random
crashes that John and I have experienced with our PandaROs.  Unless
such reports come to light, it remains a possibility that it the
problem IS hardware-related.

I'd still like to know if any ARMiniX users experience the same random
crashes!
We have a 'pure' ArminiX and have what appear to be random failures that require a restart. My wife mainly uses the machine at the moment and I know when I go to check email that the machine has been off (normally it remains on 24/7) - it is visible by the lack of icons on the Icon Bar. Normally there will be various applications loaded as she works. Thump is often the cause along with ChangeFSI - OPro is in use and the other two are used to view images and then resize them for inclusion in a document. Netsurf can also drop dead in the middle of loading a page.

Sorry I'm not too specific but as I said I've not been a regular/heavy user like my wife and unless she complains ... I think she's given up telling me and just does regular saves and 'soldiers on' - restart and all.

We had far more trouble with our Armini - which Andrew generously assisted in replacing with the ArminiX as returning the Armini for checking was too difficult. By comparison the ArminiX has been much more stable - I should explain that it was mainly a voltage to the board issue on top of software issues that caused us much frustration. Even a UPS didn't even out the current in enough to deal with the minute fluctuation at the 5v level that was the cause of the most failure to start episodes with the Armini.

Chris.

---
To alter your preferences or leave the group, visit //www.freelists.org/list/armini-support