Re: [ARMini-support] Occasional crashes

  • From: Adrian Lees <a.lees@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "armini-support@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <armini-support@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 25 Dec 2014 20:09:58 +0000 (UTC)

My understanding was that the PandaBoard port was relatively immature -
although perhaps I am out of touch - and I would be surprised if, from what
I've read, it turned out to be an hardware problem. My expectation is that it
is a software incompatibility, perhaps related to reentrancy or cache cleaning
- something low-level and difficult to track down - that requires the attention
and analysis of a programmer with detailed knowledge of the OMAP4 and its RISC
OS port. As such, register/memory dumps at the point of failure are perhaps the
only way forwards.
The fact that multiple applications are affected does itself exonerate the
application code to some extent; remember that when the WindowManager reports
any exception it is the currently-running application that gets the 'blame,'
but there may be background code running, not on its behalf, and/or it may
innocently have induced a failure in other code by making a legitimate request
of it.
I do have a PandaBoard, although I have little knowledge of the port, so cannot
really help at the moment, sorry. I am happy to report that I have not seen any
unpredictable behaviour on my i.MX5 board. My focus at the moment is Aemulor.
Best wishes to all, have a great New Year,