Re: [ARMini-support] Occasional crashes

  • From: John Norris <jrn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: armini-support@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 21 Dec 2014 22:08:52 GMT

In message <5479acd810chris.lists@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
          "Chris Bell (Lists)" <chris.lists@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi,

> My Panda computer is on 12 hours a day and runs a whole host of
> different software.  I use it for everything, both personally and
> professionally.  It's fast and 99.9% reliable.  I love it!

> But it's just that 0.1% that I need help with.  Very occasionally,
> maybe just once a day, there's an apparently randon crash.  It's
> usually either LanMan98, Hermes or Temp-Bin which suddenly crashes for
> no apparent reason and, when it's quit, everything else carries on as
> if nothing had happened.

> I'm not sure how LanMan98 works, but both Hermes and Temp-Bin are
> configured to do something in the background every so often and I'm
> guessing that this is when something goes wrong.

> This behaviour occurs whether I'm working at the computer or it's been
> left on by itself for several hours.  And in case you're wondering,
> Aemulor isn't loaded.

> Any ideas what's happening?

No but I'm in similar situation. Few days go by without a 'dropout' of
some sort, sme days more than one. Sometime it's aj 'internal error,
sometime it's an application that has to quit (Alt-Break often helps
at this point). Sometimes work is lost. Sometimes a reboot is the only
answer. Sometimes it's an application I'm actually using; sometimes
it's something on the icon bar that I'm not actually using. Among the
worst offenders seem to be my email software and more recently
(probably because I've been using it a lot) Draw. It's very irritating
to lose emails before they are ready to send. CtrlB and CtrlR are very
useful for back up and recovery - until one accidentally presses CtrlR
in error and replaces an almost complete email by an earlier version.
Aemulor is almost always loaded.

Compared with the Panda, the Pi which I'm increasingly using as a
'first choice' m/c, seems rock solid. I thought this might be because
I had no internet connection to it. However, I do now and so far it
still seems rock solid. I'm beginning to seriously consider putting
the Panda on one side and using just the Pi (with my old RiscPC still
providing backup).

John Norris