Re: [ARMini-support] Occasional crashes

  • From: Chris Johnson <chris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: armini-support@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 25 Dec 2014 12:18:27 +0000 (GMT)

In article <5499DED5.50301@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
   David Pilling <david@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> One problem is that software may have bugs in it which make it look
> at incorrect memory locations, on one version of RISC OS that may
> do no harm, on another it may lead to a crash, because the
> contents of those locations are different. The problem is in the
> application, but the user may see it as a machine/RISC OS version
> problem.

All very true. I have been watching this thread, but haven't
contributed because it is so difficult to get to a reproducible
situation.

I have Iyonix, BB, PB, RaPi, and normally run them 24/7. Generally
they are very stable. However, in the last few weeks or so, both the
Iyo and the PB, which are my main machines, have become more unstable
than usual, with crashes and freezes similar to those mentioned at
times on this and other lists. I generally keep OS and other rapidly
evolving apps, such as Netsurf, reasonably up to date, say at least
every couple of weeks, at times much more frequently.

The PB is used mainly now for software development, image viewing,
and web browsing. The Iyo is the mail/news machine, and also web
browsing - SWMBO gets shopping related mails, so likes to have a look
at what is new or on offer. Both machines are used to view and edit
digital images.

One thing I have done is to revert to an older 'stable' release of
Netsurf on both machines and this past week stability has been
restored. This may be coincidence, of course, but how does one know?

I wonder whether there is some inherent problem with either memory
management in OS or apps (more likely), or scsiusb disc management,
which is exacerbated on the newer hardware. The reason for this is
that a crash/freeze appears more likely, at least in my case, after
memory or disc have been 'stressed'. Mail software, Netsurf, large
image viewers etc all use disc and memory much more than many other
apps. I have got in to the habit, for example, of trying to remember
to quit Thump after it has been used to view a lot of digital camera
images, otherwise a problem often occurs later. It appears worse in
this respect on the Iyonix than the Panda.

Sorry to have rambled on a bit without contributing much in the way
of fact, but it is frustrating not to be able to get any real
information.

Anyway - best wishes of the season to one and all.

--
        Chris Johnson