[argyllcms] Re: dispcal: Warning - RegOpenKeyEx failed with 2

  • From: Graeme Gill <graeme@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 23 Dec 2007 15:06:25 +1100

lee scratchy wrote:
ok so here's the deal :
http://img523.imageshack.us/my.php?image=argylltf1.gif

top is argyll, bottom is s2pro software.

So they are pretty similar in end result then.

so I've used "dispcal -v -yc -t6500 -qh test" then "dispwin test.cal"

Sounds reasonable.

BTW, does dispcal reset the LUT before calibrating or should I reset it with
some other app ?

dispcal takes control of the LUT for the calibration, and should restore the
contents when it exits.

I've used the pre-calibration options(choice 5) of dispcal to set the OSD
properly,
> I've played around with R/G/B and brightness....but it didn't ask to change
the contrast
> setting...did I miss something ?

Usually for a CRT, the contrast control affects the white level, so you'd
adjust it in the menu item 3, while the CRT brightness control affects
the black level (menu item 1).
For LCD's it's almost impossible to know what a "contrast" control does,
since it doesn't relate to the display device, but is purely electronic,
so the best advice is to set it to it's default setting (if you can figure
this out).

I'll try on my DLP projector during the week-end, the s2pro did a pretty poor
job
<30 IRE...but the spyder2 is notorious for being not too sensitive in dark
colors,
> which requires to make much longer measurements I think.

Yes, it's accuracy does improve with longer integration time. I've fiddled
my driver to do that automatically to some degree, but it's hard to know
what sort of trade-off is reasonable.

do you think I would see some major improvement if I upgraded to a Eye One
Display ?!

Hard to say. They use what is basically the same sensor, it just comes down
to the filters, geometry, calibration and drivers. The Spyder is somewhat more
sophisticated, having seven sensors and filters, but I'm not sure whether
this turns out to be much benefit in the end or not.