[argyllcms] Re: Argyll CMS in Fedora (and Mandriva)

  • From: C <gdmail@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 22 Dec 2007 04:57:09 -0800

I'm running a completely updated Fedora 8 X86_64 installation except
for the most recent kernel and xorg-x11-server update packages.

I noticed the proposed kernel usbhid patch to blacklist the Huey from usbhid. That looks good. I was just concerned about having a functional work-around to get it away from USBHID in the interim
so I could test / use the device before that kernel comes out.

The following seems to make the unbinding work (every time I tested it over a few USB ports anyway) for me:
# Works for unbinding.
SYSFS{idVendor}=="0971", SYSFS{idProduct}=="2005", MODE="0666", PROGRAM="/bin/sh -c 'echo -n $id:1.0 >/sys/bus/usb/drivers/usbhid/unbind'"

dmesg:
usb 7-2.4.1.4: new low speed USB device using uhci_hcd and address 108
usb 7-2.4.1.4: configuration #1 chosen from 1 choice
hiddev97: USB HID v1.00 Device [HID 0971:2005] on usb-0000:00:1d.1-2.4.1.4

..however it seems like I end up with no world-writable
/dev/usbdev devices:
crw-rw---- 1 root root 251, 29 2007-12-22 04:43 /dev/usbdev7.108_ep00
crw-rw---- 1 root root 251, 30 2007-12-22 04:43 /dev/usbdev7.108_ep81

As root I can make the Huey work when I use the above rules file to automatically unbind it, with the above device file permissions.

When I try as an ordinary user it fails:
[user@localhost DL]$ dispcal -v -yl test
Setting up the instrument
dispcal: Error - Configuring USB port 'usb:/bus0/dev0 (GretagMacbeth Huey)' to 1 failed with -1 (could not set config 1: Operation not permitted)

I can change those device node permissions, but it still does not let an ordinary user use the device.
[root@localhost SOURCES]# chmod o+rw /dev/usbdev7.108_ep*

[root@localhost SOURCES]# rpm -ql argyllcms-0.70-0.6.Beta7.fc8
/etc/udev/rules.d/96-huey-hid-workaround.rules
/usr/bin/cb2cgats
/usr/bin/cctiff
/usr/bin/dispcal
/usr/bin/displin
/usr/bin/dispread
/usr/bin/dispwin
/usr/bin/fakeCMY
/usr/bin/fakeread
/usr/bin/greytiff
/usr/bin/iccdump
/usr/bin/iccgamut
/usr/bin/icclink-argyllcms
/usr/bin/icclu
/usr/bin/invprofcheck
/usr/bin/kodak2cgats
/usr/bin/logo2cgats
/usr/bin/mppcheck
/usr/bin/mpplu
/usr/bin/mpprof
/usr/bin/printread
/usr/bin/printtarg
/usr/bin/profcheck
/usr/bin/profile
/usr/bin/refine
/usr/bin/revfix
/usr/bin/scanin
/usr/bin/sepgen
/usr/bin/spec2cie
/usr/bin/splitcgats
/usr/bin/spotread
/usr/bin/spyd2en
/usr/bin/synthread
/usr/bin/targen
/usr/bin/tiffgamut
/usr/bin/timage
/usr/bin/verify
/usr/bin/viewgam
/usr/bin/xicclu
/usr/share/PolicyKit/policy/color-device-file.policy
/usr/share/argyllcms
/usr/share/argyllcms/3dap5k.sp
/usr/share/argyllcms/ColorChecker.ti2
/usr/share/argyllcms/ColorCheckerDC.cht
/usr/share/argyllcms/ColorCheckerSG.cht
/usr/share/argyllcms/D50_0.0.sp
/usr/share/argyllcms/D50_0.3.sp
/usr/share/argyllcms/D50_0.5.sp
/usr/share/argyllcms/D50_0.7.sp
/usr/share/argyllcms/D50_1.0.sp
/usr/share/argyllcms/D50_1.2.sp
/usr/share/argyllcms/D50_1.5.sp
/usr/share/argyllcms/D50_1.7.sp
/usr/share/argyllcms/D50_2.0.sp
/usr/share/argyllcms/D50_2.5.sp
/usr/share/argyllcms/D50_3.0.sp
/usr/share/argyllcms/ECI2002R.ti2
/usr/share/argyllcms/FograStrip.ti2
/usr/share/argyllcms/GTIPlus.sp
/usr/share/argyllcms/Hutchcolor.cht
/usr/share/argyllcms/Office.sp
/usr/share/argyllcms/RefMediumGamut.gam
/usr/share/argyllcms/SOtele.sp
/usr/share/argyllcms/Trulux.sp
/usr/share/argyllcms/TruluxPlus.sp
/usr/share/argyllcms/example.sp
/usr/share/argyllcms/example121.sp
/usr/share/argyllcms/i1_RGB_Scan_1.4.cht
/usr/share/argyllcms/i1_RGB_Scan_1.4.ti2
/usr/share/argyllcms/it8.cht
/usr/share/argyllcms/linear.sp
/usr/share/doc/argyllcms-0.70
/usr/share/doc/argyllcms-0.70/License-cgats.txt
/usr/share/doc/argyllcms-0.70/License-icc.txt
/usr/share/doc/argyllcms-0.70/License.txt
/usr/share/doc/argyllcms-0.70/Readme.txt
/usr/share/doc/argyllcms-0.70/log.txt
/usr/share/doc/argyllcms-0.70/notes.txt
/usr/share/doc/argyllcms-0.70/ttbd.txt
/usr/share/hal/fdi/policy/10osvendor/19-color.fdi

I could have broken something when I was fiddling around with the SRPM or local sysadmin trying to get it to work yesterday, so I'll keep looking into it and try to reinstall the package from your mirror site
etc.

Did I miss some manual step of postinstall or something that
I should have done to update the effective SELINUX / PolicyKit settings
after the new install of
/usr/share/PolicyKit/policy/color-device-file.policy ?

I don't think I've rebooted / re-inited since I installed the
package FWIW.

I don't seem to get SETROUBLESHOOT errors when the
access fails that I've noticed.

Thanks again.

Nicolas Mailhot wrote:
Le samedi 22 décembre 2007 à 02:24 -0800, C a écrit :

The PID+VID is correct AKAIK, and here's more information on the setup my system is generating.

Note that the unbinding problem will go away because:
1. the huey is going to be blacklisted in the linux hid kernel module in
2.6.25 at least
2. a fix was posted to the argyll code that requested the unbinding
(didn't have the time to look it up though)

I'm more worried about the bad permission problem. I know it works for
my device in Fedora devel, it's supposed to work on F8 as released (but
at this point it may be unreasonable to push argyll as an F8 update —
the whole F9 devel cycle may be necessary to hammer out problems).

How current is your Linux system? Policikit is quite new and PolicyKit
files won't work in pre-Fedora 8 releases.