[argyllcms] Re: dispcal: Warning - RegOpenKeyEx failed with 2

  • From: Graeme Gill <graeme@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 22 Dec 2007 13:10:59 +1100

lee scratchy wrote:

I think you should really make a simple HOWTO with the basic steps everyone
needs...or maybe a GUI ?

Well, this <http://www.argyllcms.com/doc7/Scenarios.html> is
intended to be exactly that. I'm certainly open to suggestions
as to how it can be improved though.

My focus is on making available the underlying functionality
in the GNU release - lprof is a better bet if you want
a GUI display profiling application. I am working
on a GUI version of Argyll, but it is not a GNU licensed project.

I thought 2.2 gamma and D65 were the default arguments.

Gamma 2.2 (1.8 on OS X) is the default, but the default white point
is the native white point, since that's the easiest way to
specify that behaviour. See <http://www.argyllcms.com/doc7/dispcal.html#t>.

now I've RTFM and indeed that becomes crystal clear, even though I don't really
get the
difference between D65 and 6500K but I'll try both...all I want is the lowest
dE possible ;)

They are different spectra, so they have a different locus when plotted on
a chromaticity diagram. They are quite close, but a little apart.
See Figure 1 of
<http://www.usna.edu/Users/oceano/raylee/papers/RLee_AO_CCTpaper.pdf>.
The top line is Daylight, the bottom is Black body.

The exact white point isn't that important when you are viewing a
display in isolation, since your eyes adapt to the white point. It
only becomes critical for proofing situations where you are
viewing samples side by side.