[argyllcms] Re: A beginner's questions

  • From: Leonard Evens <len@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2008 10:42:23 -0600

On Thu, 2008-01-31 at 11:32 +0100, Lars Tore Gustavsen wrote:

> There are some other tests on the left margin of this page, you may find
> useful.
> http://www.drycreekphoto.com/Learn/monitor_calibration.htm
>
> A simple well written simple downloadable guide about colormanagment
> can be found here:
> http://www.nativedigital.co.uk/shop/page.php?xPage=support_general_cm.html
>
> And since Leonard helpfully recommend the "Real World" book. It's a
> great book, but I find it to much focused on colormanagment in
> different application, and I use none of them.  Actually my most used
> book when I play with argyllcms is the old "Unix Power tools" and "sed
> & awk".  :-)

I agree with Lars about Real World Color Management.   It was widely
recommended so I got it.  I read it from cover to cover, but perhaps 20
percent was useful for me since I work under Linux.   But that 20
percent was essential.  In particular, it addresses most of the
questions a beginner might have, but you sometimes have to work to find
relevant material.  I still find the glossary helpful in deciphering
acronyms, and the appendix on the structure of a profile was helpful.

> I have picked up a few more books about colormanagment now, and
> hopefully they would enlighten me about the deeper stuff.

Let us know what you find.  I'm about ready to order another book on the
subject.

> A few more tips. Don't be afraid to ask, and read the Argyll
> documentation carefully. I have failed in both  of them.

Same here!