[argyllcms] Re: A beginner's questions

  • From: Stefan Döhla <color@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2008 02:03:03 +0100

Hi Luud,

I have a Samsung Syncmaster 191T TFT screen (about 4 years old now)
and an ATI Radeon 9700Pro graphics card. I need to use the
fglrx_xgamma program to adjust the gamma of the display (xgamma and
dispwin did not appear to change anything on my display). As my
monitor is connected via DVI digital I only have backlight control on
the monitor. I adjusted the gamma until dispcal would tell me that it
measures a gamma of about 2.2 (using "dispcal -yl -r"). After this I
ran the profiling step (option 6 when running "dispcal -v2 -yl -o
Samsung191T").

once you have a valid profile for your display (e.g. created with the colorvision software) you can use fglrx_xcalib -which is a version of xcalib specifically for the ATI driver.

The bad thing however is that you can not use the calibration feature of argyllcms with the ATI driver - you would either need to switch to the open-source radeon driver (so that the standard xgamma etc. work as well as argyllcms/lprof) - or you could create a profile without calibration data (which means that each app must apply the profile for color-neutral display of your images).

- Stefan