[arachne] Re: Mouse? (was Browser Won't Start In Default Home Page)

  • From: Jason Dodd <jasorn@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: arachne@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 29 Oct 2006 19:38:46 -0600

Eric S. Emerson wrote:

Jason,
Who attacked any post by Lester or Rob ? Please post such attacks here because
I missed them.
Oh, I didn't say they were attacked. I said, "... seemed to me Lester's and Rob's post were received more as attacks to be defended ..." I don't think either was attacked. The subjective "seemed to me" is key there. Perhaps I'm just hyper sensitive to something that isn't there. Just seems like every time I've for years I've a post was made asking if or why doesn't arachne do something in a manner some other well accepted product does, the tone is put-off-ish.
Who said "Real DOS users don't use mice" ?
I missed that post too.
The post that went something like, and I'm paraphrasing here, "Oh I don't use a mouse. I don't even ever load a mouse driver(implied I'm a REAL dos user)". And the reply, "Oh, yeah, well I bet you aren't a REAL dos user. In fact, I bet you even use windows and IE to surf the net."

Nope those aren't the exact quotes. But that's how I read it.
Who said "Real DOS users don't browse with a gui
browser that supports other modern HTML thingees" ?
I also missed that post.
Same as above.
Jason, you did say you were open minded, right?
Well, some people do honestly think that DOS
and Arachne are the best.....that is their opinion....
You don't have to agree but at least accept that
they honestly believe what they say.
Most of those DOS/Arachne lovers do perform a
majority of their computer tasks with their favorite
browser and operating system. They prefer them
and use them as much as they can. They like to
promote them just like people like to promote
their favorite car or TV program. You are free to
promote your favorites, likewise. However, if you do it on a list of DOS/Arachne lovers, and you refute what they believe in.....well, you better expect some
static.

Eric
I think I said I 'try' to be open-minded. I don't always succeed.

I agree wholeheartedly when it comes to favorites. 'Objective' is the key word in,

"who think arachne and dos are objectively the best browser and OS
respectively."

Perhaps I'm wrong and dos really is the best OS and arachne the best browser.
But try as I might, I can never get it to do a fraction of what I typically do
routinely on linux or windows.  I'm still trying so maybe I'll figure it out.
I will note however, that nobody I've asked has been able to tell me how either.

It only takes me a few seconds to rattle off many things that can't be done in
dos.  So far nobody's ever been able to tell me one thing that dos can do that
linux can't.

When I can rattle off a list of things an OS can't do that another can and
nobody can give me one thing the other way around and still the 2nd OS is
claimed to be objectively better... well, that gets me a little crazy.

Arachne at FreeLists -- Arachne, The Premier GPL Web Browser/Suite for DOS --