[arachne] Re: Mouse? (was Browser Won't Start In Default Home Page)

  • From: Jason Dodd <jasorn@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: arachne@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 29 Oct 2006 10:45:47 -0600

Reminds me of the cli vs gui fights. In my mind the smart people figure when it's better to use each and do so. The cli guy who types in 10 lines to do what one click of the mouse can do is no smarter or dumber than the gui guy who will go 4 layers deep into a config gui to do what a 10 character line command will do.

The smart guy is the one who alternates based on the task and tools at hand.

Like politics when the left won't take a good idea just because it came from someone on the right and vice versa.

Program language is another that fits this model.

'Bordering on bigotry' seems apt.

I suppose there are those who think it's l337 to not use a mouse or to be able to just us a mouse. I avoid those the same way I avoid zealots for one OS vs another.

Rob wrote:

I just have to ask, why do so many people have such animosity
towards the mouse? When I first learned to use a computer on
XP and win2k my teacher at Community College would get perturbed
that my mouse would be laying on the floor because I took to the
keyboard alot easier. I can definitely get around windo$e without
a mouse, and I don't load a mouse in DOS either. I'm usually in
the CLI in 'nix also, as GUIs don't like me, and I don't like the
resources they use up. But a mouse is just a tool to get a job done.
If it works best for someone, so what? I have watched people move
quite quickly and efficiently around a computer with the mouse.
The mouse has been around alot longer than the PC, having been in
use on mainframes since the mid '60s, so it's not a recent invention.
If someone prefers to use a ratchet wrench and socket as opposed to
a boxend wrench, so what? I don't see why one tool should be
denigrated over another tool, if it gets the job done for someone.
There are people who use a mouse quicker than I can use a keyboard.
I have seen this 'anti mouse' thing on this list and elsewhere on
the internet, but have never heard a real reason for it. Where
does this come from? Why is one computer user considered less than
another computer user, because of his tool of choice. This
'anti mouse' thing almost borders on bigotry. Why?

Just curious, Rob

Arachne at FreeLists -- Arachne, The Premier GPL Web Browser/Suite for DOS --