[Wittrs] The CRA in Symbolic Form (According to Joe)

  • From: Joseph Polanik <jpolanik@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wittrsamr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 01 May 2010 19:01:59 -0400

SWM wrote:

>Joseph Polanik wrote:

>>SWM:

>>>Demonstrate that instead of asserting it.

>>I did. in my proof of the CRA, I did not need to assume interactive
>>substance dualism in order to derive the conclusion of the CRA from
>>the three axioms.

>Your "proof" did not prove anything. It merely showed a series of
>relationships which, if they obtained, lead to a certain conclusion

that's what a proof is.

>(though it's questionable whether such a high level of complexity as
>you introduced is needed to get there since, if the CRA's premises are
>true, then it's conclusion would be without all the additional stuff --
>but, of course, the point is they aren't).

that's right. having demonstrated the logical validity of the CRA, it
follows that, if its axioms are true, its conclusion is also true.

>>Neither did I assume a dualism of ontological basicness.

>... all you did was lay out a series of logical relations.

I accomplished just a bit more than that.

I showed that the logical relations between the axioms and the
conclusions of the CRA do NOT require an assumption of dualism (contrary
to your frequently stated claims).

>>to sum up,

>>Searle: the mind is caused by the brain.

>>Dennett: the mind *is* the brain.

>>Stuart: and, therefore, Searle is a dualist.

>Read my argument again for why Searle is a dualist.

now that the logical validity of the CRA has been demonstrated, we can
move on to the evaluation of Searle's argument that the third axiom is
true and the evaluation of your critique of it; and, in this context,
your opinions as to whether Searle is a dualist are completely
irrelevant; because, they constitute an ad hominem argument.

Joe