[Wittrs] Re: Conditions of Assertability: First-Person Self-Reference

  • From: "Cayuse" <z.z7@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <wittrsamr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 27 Nov 2009 12:43:10 -0000

Joseph Polanik wrote:
Cayuse wrote:
Joseph Polanik wrote:
Cayuse wrote:
Joseph Polanik wrote:
I certainly seem to be present whenever I am self-referencing. why
should I conclude that I am not?

Can you show this "experiencer" to yourself?

as I just said, I seem to be present whenever I am self-referencing.
that's the showing.

There's no *showing* without a show-er.

how is this claim different from the claim that there is no
experiencing without an experiencer; or, that there is no
storytelling without a storyteller?

Identify the show-er as an aspect of the data of experience, and then you will have your "showing". Your comment "I seem to be present whenever I am self-referencing" doesn't identify the show-er as an aspect of the data of experience, and it never will, since your putative "show-er" is nonsensical. Therefore there is no "showing", whatever may "seem" to be the case for you. This "seeming" is nothing more than a consequence of the error of reifying the "experiencer" due to the way that language is used.