[Wittrs] Conditions of Assertability: First-Person Self-Reference

  • From: Joseph Polanik <jpolanik@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wittrsamr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 20 Nov 2009 20:08:52 -0500

Cayuse wrote:

>Joseph Polanik wrote:

>>Cayuse wrote:

>... there are no conditions of assertability for accurately stating
>"an afterimage has arisen in my experience".

>>you've admitted that 'I am in pain' is a legitimate statement;

>What was my exact comment and on what date did I make it?

[10/29/2009 09:04 AM]:

[Joe]: what about the example Wittgenstein uses, 'I am in pain'? is that
use valid or invalid?

[Cayuse]: The use of this expression is clear enough (there is pain in
the data of experience), but the form of the expression is misleading
(there is an "I" that is separate and distinct from this pain and that
somehow "experiences" this pain).

>PI 404: [...] What does it mean to know who is in pain? It means, for
>example, to know which man in this room is in pain [...]. What am I
>getting at? At the fact that there is a great variety of criteria for
>personal 'identity'. Now which of them determines my saying that 'I' am
>in pain? None.

and; therefore ... what?

how does this passage help you prove that there can be the experience of
pain in the complete absence of anything that experiences pain?

>>what are the conditions of assertability for accurately stating 'I
>>am in pain'?

>There are no conditions of assertability for accurately stating
>"I am in pain".

>There is no such thing as the subject that "notices" the experience of
>pain or "owns" the stream of experiences. (Paraphrasing TLP 5.631)

>"The subject does not belong to the world: rather, it is a limit of
>the world." (TLP 5.632)

>"Where /in/ the world is the metaphysical subject to be found?" (TLP
>5.633)

it seems that you've overlooked TLP 5.641: "What brings the self into
philosophy is the fact that 'the world is my world'".

Joe