[Wittrs] Conditions of Assertability: First-Person Self-Reference

  • From: Joseph Polanik <jpolanik@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wittrsamr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 27 Nov 2009 10:58:20 -0500

Cayuse wrote:

>Joseph Polanik wrote:

>>Cayuse wrote:

>>>There's no *showing* without a show-er.

>>how is this claim different from the claim that there is no
>>experiencing without an experiencer; or, that there is no storytelling
>>without a storyteller?

>Identify the show-er as an aspect of the data of experience, and then
>you will have your "showing".

very well, then.

I will undertake to show that the experiencing I is itself an aspect of
its stream of experiences; but, I will not first join you in the
Self-Inflicted Linguistic Lobotomy you seem to cherish because it
exorcises first-person self-referencing from among the resources of the
language game within which you purport to 'do' philosophy.

while I respect your right to self-lobotomize, LW's axiom (the limits of
my language mean the limits of my world) implies that, by limiting your
language, you have limited your world.

consequently, in order to establish that you retain the ability to
comprehend an argument stated in the first person, we must first
establish the conditions, if any, under which first-person
self-referencing is still permitted within the rules of the truncated
language game you've ended up with.

would you briefly state the conditions of assertability for first-person
self-referencing in your self-lobotomized worldview?

Joe