[Wittrs] Conditions of Assertability: First-Person Self-Reference

  • From: Joseph Polanik <jpolanik@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wittrsamr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 20 Nov 2009 06:54:14 -0500

Cayuse wrote:

>Joseph Polanik wrote:

>>Cayuse wrote:

>>>No -- you should drop the "my" preceding the word "experience".

>>what are the conditions of assertability for accurately stating "an
>>afterimage has arisen in my experience"?

>PI 398: [...] I think we can say: you are talking (if, for example, you
>are sitting in a room) of the 'visual room'. The 'visual room' is the
>one that has no owner. I can as little own it as I can walk about it,
>or look at it, or point to it. Inasmuch as it cannot be any one else's
>it is not mine either. In other words, it does not belong to me because
>I want to use the same form of expression about it as about the
>material room in which I sit. The description of the latter need not
>mention an owner, in fact it need not have any owner. But then the
>visual room cannot have any owner. "For" - one might say - "it has no
>master, outside or in." [...]

and; therefore, ... what?

what are we to conclude from the fact that you've quoted this passage
challenging the concept of ownership as a metaphorical description of
self-referencing (other than that you've evaded giving a direct answer
to the question)?

the issue concerns the conditions of assertability, CoA, for
first-person self-reference.

you've admitted that 'I am in pain' is a legitimate statement; but, what
are the conditions of assertability for accurately stating 'I am in
pain'?

it seems to me that the CoA for 'I am in pain' are that I am
experiencing pain as of the time I assert 'I am in pain'.

consequently, it is not clear how you could coherently deny that CoA are
for accurately saying 'I am experiencing pain' are met when I notice
that the experience of pain has arisen in my stream of experiences.

how do you justify denying that, while experiencing an afterimage, CoA
for accurately stating 'an afterimage has arisen in my experience' have
been satisfied?

in PI 403, there is a clear indication that self-referencing is used to
accurately identify the stream of experiences in which a certain
experience (pain) has arisen.

Joe