[C] [Wittrs] Re: Re: Re: Metaphysical Versus Mystical

  • From: Sean Wilson <whoooo26505@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wittrsamr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 13 Jan 2010 13:38:25 -0800 (PST)

.. I'm having trouble with one more aspect of Tractarian thought. I'm writing a
manuscript that is summarizing Wittgenstein's views, and I'm stuck in the
bloody Tractarian period. I didn't want to give some cheesy account of it and
then go to the more interesting latter Wittgenstein. I wanted it to come to
life. But I find my self saying things about the Tractatus that I have trouble
finding textual support. Can anyone help with this one ...

Starting point: Propositions must be true/false and must be in the service of
picturing the world. That much is clear. (See 4.023, and, in general,  6.111,
6.113, 6.1222, 6.21, 6.211).

Troubling point: What about speculative empiricism? There is a crater on planet
zebu, where "zebu" means the fuzzy thing located by the Hubble telescope, and
where we hypothesize it to be a planet, and where the tiny freckle is
hypothesized to be a crater.

These statements are hypotheses. They are in THEORY true or false. Where does
Wittgenstein say that this is ok? Is it just by implication? Or is this
statement taken as saying only: "there is a fuzzy thing with a freckle," wiping
away the conjecture. Or is the conjecture reduced, too? The conjecture says:
(1) "fuzzy things look like less fuzzy things that we know to be planets of
shorter distance away; (2)  hypothesis: the greater the fuzz, the greater the
distance; (3) therefore, fuzzy thing (zebo) is a planet of farther distance."

Here's my point: does Tractarian Wittgenstein accept the empirically unknown as
"propositions?" They are, in theory, "in the world." My answer would be yes.
This would be no different than saying, "the gold is in the cave," where I have
no idea that it is. Whether I know it or not, I have asserted a proposition. I
guess I'm confusing justification with whether the format is empirical.

Also, please note that I am not interested in Popper or the Vienna Circle here.
I'm purely wondering what Tractarian Wittgenstein thought. I think I have my
answer. (Tell me if I am wrong). The answer is that speculative empiricism is a
proposition. Whether it is true is another matter.

Regards.

Dr. Sean Wilson, Esq.
Assistant Professor
Wright State University