[C] [Wittrs] Re: Metaphysical Versus Mystical

  • From: "J D" <ubersicht@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wittrsamr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 13 Jan 2010 00:08:37 -0000

SW,

These are excellent questions and my suspicion is that Wittgenstein, who spoke
of "grave mistakes" in this work as you know, may not have had a clear answer
to this question.

However, I would suggest that this might be a start: distinction between the
question of whether there is a logical distinction between different sentences
and the question of whether we ought to respond to them in the same way.

Perhaps we could say, consistent with the Tractatus, "nonsense is nonsense" but
also that we can sometimes recognize - by certain words, by context, by the
attitude and manner of the person uttering them - that some nonsense is not
only serious but also that it responds to something deeper than mere confusion.
 The logical question of nonsense is then severed from the psychological
question of motivation.  And on that basis, we could approach the question of
whether "nonsense!" is warranted as a rebuke or merely a report of the logical
situation.

JPDeMouy