[C] [Wittrs] Re: Re: Metaphysical Versus Mystical

  • From: "J D" <ubersicht@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wittrsamr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 14 Jan 2010 00:46:34 -0000

SW,

> Here's my point: does Tractarian Wittgenstein accept the
> empirically unknown as "propositions?" They are, in theory,
> "in the world." My answer would be yes. This would be no
> different than saying, "the gold is in the cave," where I
> have no idea that it is. Whether I know it or not, I have
> asserted a proposition. I guess I'm confusing justification
> with whether the format is empirical.

That seems like it may be part of the difficulty.

I agree with your conclusion but I'd add the following: we might speculate
that, had he concerned himself with such matters before coming to see grave
errors in the Tractatus view, he might have taken the analysis to propositions
concerning the planet Zebu to include all sorts of theoretical claims.  There's
no telling in advance how complicated a complete analysis might be.

JPDeMouy