[wisb] Re: Men vs. Women - Which of us sees the birds better?

  • From: Peter Fissel <pfissel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: harrierhawk1@xxxxxxxxxxx, wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 03 Apr 2011 20:41:40 -0500

A couple of quick thoughts on this before I have to shut the computer off
(looks and sounds like a strong T-storm moving in fast.)  I don't buy the
gender-difference thing.  I know many male birders who do primary detection by
ear (myself included, at least in grassland & woodland birding.)  And, as Mark
says, there are individual differences in visual detection irrespective of
gender.  That said, some of the best "spotters" I know are, in fact, also
hunters (and male, to boot,) so maybe there is something to that.  (Then
there's the fact that many of my birding buddies are, um, er, "gentlemen of
mature years" who are losing the upper range of their hearing and rely on me to
find the little tweety birds for them...)

Lightning's getting too close for comfort...

Peter Fissel
Madison WI