[wisb] Men vs. Women - Which of us sees the birds better?

  • From: Andrea Szymczak <harrierhawk1@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 3 Apr 2011 18:22:25 -0500

Before the expected front moves through and lights up this listserv with many
new species reports, I wondered what we all think about this question.......
I've always thought that men often seem to VISUALLY detect birds before women
do.  Perhaps it has something to do with our ancestors hunting and having to
see a potential meal camouflaged in various backgrounds?  Personally, I rely
more on my hearing to help me locate birds.  That having been said, I remember
Bill Cowart once telling me that women's visual acuity was better and that they
could often see distant approaching hawks before the men could.
Opinions?
Andrea Szymczak
Waukesha, WI