[wisb] Re: Black-bellied Whistling Duck Chippewa County

  • From: just4birds@xxxxxxx
  • To: wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 24 Apr 2011 07:08:27 -0500

 From what I've learned, the Black-bellied Whistling Duck outside of
Chippewa Falls has been around for some time. Local residents spotted
the bird flying in to what appear to be ephemeral ponds along County
Highway F about a week ago and identified it at that time. Yesterday
their son, who knew Jim McCrady was interested in birds, casually
mentioned it to Jim. After verifying the identification Jim quickly
spread the word.

Although the location is easy to find from Steve and Jim's directions,
if anyone who doesn't have other things to do today in celebration of
the Resurrection or the Easter Bunny decides to go looking for this
bird, I've attached a map that might be helpful. Chippewa Falls is in
the upper right corner of the map. The GPS coordinates of the duck's
location are 44.9187N, 91.5097W.

Have fun,
Bruce Steger
Chippewa Falls