[windows2000] Re: Internet Explorer redirect

  • From: "Sullivan, Glenn" <GSullivan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <windows2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 7 May 2004 10:09:43 -0400

Sure...

Go to %systemroot%\system32\drivers\etc
Open the file called 'hosts'
add a line at the bottom that says:
<IP Address of your web server>    <Name of the site that you want to redirect>

for example:
192.168.1.100   www.google.com

Now, find out what the path of the page that they are trying to hit is.  If
they are just going to http://www.google.com, no problem.  But if they are
going to http://www.google.com/directory1/directory2/game.htm, then you will
need to create that same directory structure on your web server...

If you use IIS, it may be simpler to just create a new site that answers to the
IP address, with a host header of the name of the site.... that way there is no
possibility of intermixing the production web site with this "dummy" site.

HTH... specific URLS of the sites that you are trying to block would help me
give more specific advise.  And, do you run your own DNS, and are you trying to
block for the whole network, or a subset of machines?

Glenn Sullivan, MCSE+I  MCDBA
David Clark Company Inc.