[vicsireland] Re: Nokia Text To Speech

  • From: "Darragh Ó Héiligh" <lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: vicsireland@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 1 Oct 2008 14:34:36 +0100

Tony,

a tts i.e, text to speech synthesizer doesn't speak unless an
application directs it to do so. That's where talks comes in.  Talks
can either use Elequents or this Nokia text to speech synthesizer on a
number of Nokia third generation phones.  There are also some Nokia
phones that include a very basic and cut down screen reader but it
wouldn't be a patch on the functionality provided by Talks. A
similarity could be drawn between the Narator in Windows and the basic
Nokia software.

Nokia's application for reading selected data on your phone is from
what I gather to be used by people looking for an eyes free way of
reading messages / caller ID's.  I don't think they would ever
consider it an alternative to a full screen reader.

I don't have an E51 so cant comment as to the availability of an
application that would utilize the Nokia TTS synthesizer out of the
box but eitherway, if you depend on a screen reader to use your
mobile, you have two choices:  Talks or mobile speak.

Hope that clarifies things.

Darragh
www.digitaldarragh.com