[va-richmond-general] Re: Horseshoe Crab Bill

  • From: "Mike Wilson" <mdwils@xxxxxx>
  • To: <va-richmond-general@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 8 Feb 2006 13:01:26 -0500

An important fact to know is that Red Knots do not forage on horseshoe crab eggs in Virginia. They are foraging on bivalves while here. So the horseshoe crab harvest in Virginia does not affect Red knots directly but I do not know how the harvest impacts other species (including other birds), horseshoe crabs, or the ecosystem at large. It is also important to know that while migratory populations of Red Knots have declined greatly in Delaware Bay, the peak numbers during migration in Virginia have not changed in 10 years. So, aside from the impact on other species that may be unknown, the biggest issue is that Virginia remains the loophole for fisherman to harvest horseshoe crabs in Delaware Bay and land them here. The other unknown is the spatial extent of horseshoe crab population dynamics. Does Virginia play a role in population recruitment of crabs in Delaware Bay? I don't know the answer to that question but it obviously has implications. Perhaps a key element is to regulate the Virginia harvest and landing and not impose a full moratorium on the harvest. Although I have no suggestion how that could be accomplished.

Rather than attach a population target to the bill, as was done, a better strategy may have been to have the bill simply follow the moratorium of the states in Delaware Bay. That is, Virginia maintains a moratorium until NJ lifts their prohibition and so on. I do not know how those states moratoriums are written into law but that could be problematic as well.