[va-richmond-general] Re: Horseshoe Crab Bill

  • From: WEalding@xxxxxxx
  • To: va-richmond-general@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 8 Feb 2006 12:35:04 EST

One of the frustrations of the hearing was that no opportunity is given for
rebuttal, or for the public to ask that type of question.  If the Delegates
don't ask, it doesn't get asked.  Kind of like being on jury duty, when you
would love to ask certain questions but only the lawyers can.

The bill did have a time limit on the moratorium, if/when the Red Knot
population recovered to 240,000 from the present 15,000, it would be  lifted.

Wendy  Ealding

In a message dated 2/8/2006 12:23:42 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
madanthony3@xxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

I agree  on the coaching, but also the argument should not have gone in the
direction  of $700 binoculars.  Certainly "ecotourism" boosts state coffers,
but a  major reason environmentalists fight for species preservation is because

biodiversity is so important to human health and prosperity.  Did anyone  ask
the fishermen what they will do when the horseshoe crabs are all  gone?

These debates have come up before over the Chesapeake Bay  and its
inhabitants, e.g. oysters, blue crabs, rockfish (which have bounced  back by
the way)
and the General Assembly usually ends up on the side of the  fishermen.   There
are a lot of ways to argue the issue.   Researching for new baits is a good
one.  Compromising on a moratorium,  e.g. prohibiting horseshoe crab catches
for
a certain amount of time or  establishing a season for them or prohibiting
catches of females with  eggs.  Was any of that offered?  That's the kind of
thing that  should be worked out through the state agency as Deanna said in
order
to  improve the argument from the scientific angle.  At any rate, the bottom
line is to get the facts straight first.  That's why I asked if anyone  had
any good hard facts on the decline of the Red Knot due to overfishing of
horseshoe crabs in the Chesapeake.  Until we can produce the numbers and  say
why
it's important to humans, and Virginians in particular, know  legislator is
going to listen.

Mary Davis