[va-richmond-general] Re: Horseshoe Crab Bill

  • From: "Mike Wilson" <mdwils@xxxxxx>
  • To: <va-richmond-general@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 8 Feb 2006 16:13:05 -0500

I can elaborate to answer your question Mary,

Population recruitment is the phenomena of new individuals entering the population. Recruitment is a necessary event to maintain a population, since in a very basic sense, a population balance is equal to the number of births and immigrants minus deaths and emigration. The term recruitment always seem strange to me since it gives the feel of an active gathering versus a passive settlement - but someone coined it along time ago and it stuck. So I was using the term to ask whether or not maintenance of Delaware Bay horseshoe crabs population of was contingent on crabs born in Virginia migrating to Delaware or was the Delaware Bay population autonomous/self maintaining from their own breeding events. Obviously the opposite could be true or the two populations may act as one. There is an ever-growing realization that populations of some organisms are dependent on upon the sharing of individuals across large geographic scales. I know very little about the biology of horseshoe crabs however so the original question may be wild eyed but I would not be surprised if their is some exchange of individuals based on their long life span, propensity for migration to and from the coast, and long time to reach sexual maturity.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Mary Davis" <madanthony3@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>