[triadtechtalk] Re: PartitionMagic 4.0

  • From: ChasM49@xxxxxxx
  • To: triadtechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 27 Jul 2001 21:21:13 EDT

In a message dated 7/27/2001 7:48:28 PM Central Daylight Time,
cabehogan@xxxxxxxxxxx writes:

> please explain on the 3.1 meg update sum mo!

for the update go to  WWW.POWERQUEST.COM... and  when it opens go to the
donwload section patches... will list all their programs and updates... has
the listing for 4.0 updates it to 4.1 which is for 98.. make sure is one for
98 as there are updates for dos and nt.. so careful there.... and its a free
download.. so no problems there....
   usually if you move your drive contens like this you will need to
reinstall them on another partition as all the settings etc are for the old
windoiws system settings so generally wont work unless they are seperate
prgrams not installed in the program files directory...those can generally be
copied over to new partiton and will work ok usually unless they are
corrupetd but would find out soon enough there... others that write to
windows system files wont work and require new install,but then you can check
against the directory of each program and find your old settings and possibly
copy them over .. or read them and reset your new installed programs to old
settings.... as I say tedious work but can work to bring a system back to A1
... not many tech types will take the time to do this nor would most folks
want to see the bill for the time spent doing so.......pulled these sort of
tricks a few times and it has worked.. but sure aint the recommended way,but
I had negelected to make a backup of a system and found myself in an
irevocable and unrecoverable mess a few times trying to hurry up a new
system... so had to resort to this sort of trickery to get my settings..
especailly links and favorites and a whole bunch of doc files... and it
worked.. but once again... when its all working make sure you do a backup  of
all of it.. sure saves headaches later down the road.... learned that the
hard way......
       hope this can do the trick for you Clarence....     Chuck.. in Ok

www.freelists.org/webpage/triadtechtalk

//www.freelists.org/cgi-bin/lsg2.cgi