[triadtechtalk] Re: PartitionMagic 4.0

  • From: "cabehogan" <cabehogan@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <triadtechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 27 Jul 2001 18:44:08 -0500

> > --from "cabehogan" <cabehogan@xxxxxxxxxxx>--
> > --reply triadtechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> > Hey gang!

> > I just received an offer from
NothingButSoftware.com to
> > get PartitionMagic 4.0 for only $4.95 which retails
for
> > $69.95, so since I have been wanting to partition
my
> > HD, can I get this version of PM and partition my
HD
> > just as it is and then set up an addition Win98 OS
on
> > another partition and load nothing but IE (say
5.01)
> > and OE and do my mail and browsing from that
partition
> > and then work with all my other programs in peace
on
> > the other partition without having the conflicts I
am
> > having and thereby not have to start all over with
> > fresh wipe out?

> > .......clarence.......

> Having done such things before, here's what I can
tell you.

OK, shoot!

> This is an older version, so I'm not entirely certain
what it can and cannot
> do. I'll give you suggestions based upon the
assumption that it is limited
> to only partitioning your drive. If it includes a
utility to "hide" drives,
> or to change the c drive, then there are other,
possibly better, options.

I have read no write ups saying that it was buggy but
just that the updates
added a few more options!  I haven't read the specs
close enough to know
if it can "hide" drives or change the C drive as would
not know why I would
want to do those things or know the reason for doing
them!

> First of all, you create a new partition. This
software is the best way to
> do that, as you are trying not to destroy your old
data, and it is easy to
> use. It should be able to handle FAT32, which is all
you need to worry
> about. Other utilities that can create new partitions
are not generally as
> good, and the old standby, FDISK, will destroy
everything on the drive.

That is what I first thought when I read the reviews on
it as it has always
been my understanding of Fdisk that it destroys/wipes
clean the HD for
a completely fresh install of a OS, which is why I was
trying to stay away
from Fdisk altogether if I possibly could!

> Now, install Windows on the new drive. Use the
default suggestion when asked
> where you want to install, except that you should set
it to the letter of
> the new drive. For example, it  will probably suggest
installing to
> C:\windows, so if your new drive partition is D
drive, you would install it
> to d:\windows.

Mine would have to be F:\ (or some other) since A, C, D
& E are in use!

> Once Windows is installed, reinstall drivers, then
reinstall the software
> you want. Be careful. You have three possible
problems here. First of all,
> some programs will only install on C drive. Second,
even if it installs on a
> different drive, that doesn't mean that it will work.
So long as you are
> using only Internet Explorer and OE, this shouldn't
be a problem. Third,
> they may insist on installing some files to C drive.
I believe, however,
> that version 5.01 or 5.5 (which should be less buggy)
doesn't have this
> problem.

I can understand that some programs will not work on
other drives as
they are preprogrammed to look for files on C drive
only, so I would have
to agree that just because they installed on F:\ would
not mean that they
would work!  That is what I figured also on the IE and
OE only scenario!
I have noted that many programs do indeed specify C
drive!  From my
experience so far, I believe that IE5.01 would be my
best choice at least
till the final IE6 is released and then I could try it
and if it still had flaws,
I could easily revert back to 5.01!

> If your software only installs on the new partition,
and you only use
> software that works on alternate partitions, then
this should work well. It
> is called a parallel installation, and something
similar was what I was
> about to suggest next.

I am completely unfamiliar with parallel installations!

> If the software allows you to hide drives or change
drive letters, you
> might, assuming you can figure out an easy way to do
it, set up your
> computer so that you can choose which drive is the C
drive at will. This is
> the very best option for what you want, as then you
have both Windows
> installations on different C drives, avoiding
virtually 100% of the problems
> a parallel clean installation can have.

I also know nothing about hiding drives or changing
drive letters, so I had
no idea that two C drives could be run on the same
drive/machine!

> Good luck!

Thanks and the more I learn, the less luck will have
anything to do with it!

.......clarence.......

www.freelists.org/webpage/triadtechtalk

//www.freelists.org/cgi-bin/lsg2.cgi