[triadtechtalk] Re: PartitionMagic 4.0

  • From: "cabehogan" <cabehogan@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <triadtechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 27 Jul 2001 19:48:31 -0500

Daylight Time,
> cabehogan@xxxxxxxxxxx writes:

> > the reason I was going to install
> > Win98, MSIE & OE on
> > the new partition all by itself to preclude any
> > possible conflicts with any of
> > the other programs on my C:\ drive!

> lol... ok.. now I see what you were saying there..
somehow misunderstood
> that.... yes it is most definitely a good idea to
partition your drive and
> use one partition for the operating system alone...
for one thing sure makes
> it easier do a back up and wont mess up the whole
drive in case of problems
> or even a worm or virus.. easily fixed that way....
sorry I misunderstood you
> there Clarence.... guess our running for the 14th day
in a row of 100 degrees
> or more has boiled my brains a bit down here and
fogged the eyeglasses...
> lol.....

Hey Chuck, no problem as it is indeed hard at times to
convey one's meaning
in words when one picture is worth a thousand words, so
I think we are doing
pretty well for a couple of old codgers, don't you?
 ; )  And I had just finished
taking advantage of the price tag on Partition Magic
and it is on it's way!  Since
my wife is now deceased, I am finally getting to the
point of making decisions
on my own!  LOL  As for the 100 degree weather, we are
at 90+ many days
now, so I know of that which you speak and I just
wouldn't make it without my
AC unit!

>    but if you do use f/disk it will mess over your
drive totaly.... I have
> used partiton magic and it works fairly well... now
if you use partiton
> magic....and now good news. grab the 5 buck bargin
and go to the
> Powerquest.com site and download the 3.1 meg update
and you are good to go
> for win 98 all the way.....

Yes, that is what I thought all along!  That is good to
know, now I know
where to go when I mess it up!  ; )  As above, it's on
it's way!  Hummmm,
please explain on the 3.1 meg update sum mo!

> you could set up a couple partitons,but keeping
> all your data that is in your c drive as is....

That is what I had in mind and at least two more
partitions and possibly
three, what do you think?

> after setting up your
> partitons then move the contents by copying all that
data to one of the
> partitons using the image function of Partition
magic.... then do a format on
> the c: partiton and reinstall windows on it....

Ah, I think I understand what you are saying here,
IOW's move my C drive
contents to say F:\, then reformat C:\ and put my NEW
Win98, IE & OE on
it all by themselves, right?  Then if I decide that I
need a program or two to
use in unison with my new working IE & OE (like my
spell checker), I can
do that without mucking things up hopefully and then if
it causes any conflicts
I can always uninstall the spell checker and go from
there, right?

> that way when you reinstall
> your other programs say to the d:partiton you would
have the chance to
> recover data form your old files and settings
also....

However, the question arises in my mind is will my
programs that were
working fine on the original C drive still work on the
new F drive partition?

> I think it may work
> .... but would be tedious stuff... did something like
that one time before
> and recovered quite a bit of the old stuff so wasnt
too bad and then when got
> done deleted it.so this may be anohter way to fix
your system up.. or at
> least just move the offending stuff without dumping
it... worth a shopt
> maybe....

It sure does sound like a plan, but as we all
know...the best laid plans of
mice and men...!  ; )

.......clarence in TN.......

www.freelists.org/webpage/triadtechtalk