[TN-Bird] Eagle Bend Fish Hatchery

  • From: "Chuck/Lola Estes" <chucklola@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 20 Jul 2012 15:40:25 -0400

7/20/12

Eagle Bend Fish Hatchery, Anderson County

Lola and I checked out Eagle Bend Friday afternoon from 12:45 to 1:30 pm
primarily hoping for some shorebirds.  On the way in the usual suspects were
around.  Lots of Killdeers, Swallows (Tree, Northern Rough-winged, and
Cliff), Eastern Meadowlarks, a couple of American Crow, one Belted
Kingfisher, and one Green Heron.  A few shorebirds were around probably as a
result of the recent turbulent weather.  We were happy to see 4 Pectoral
Sandpipers and 2 Least Sandpipers.  These were hanging out in the muddy
bottom of the drained pond to the left of the main road before reaching the
maintenance shed in the back of the facility.  This pond and the one just
south have the only good mudflats and there is very little water in these
two now.  There are a couple of other drained ponds but they are full of
weeds.  Looks like these ponds will continue to dry-up unless we get more
rain.

Chuck Estes

Oak Ridge, TN