[TN-Bird] Re: Eagle Bend Fish Hatchery

  • From: Sharon Monett <sbm4him@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: TN-Bird Listserv <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 12 Aug 2013 08:23:51 -0400

Thanks to all who responded with IDs/guesses/comments about the shorebirds
at Eagle Bend!

Several asked that I post the IDs, so they can tell if they were right or
not.Since the photos are all titled with the date and a number, I'm using
the number to identify which photo I'm referring to. If you go to the Eagle
Bend set on my flickr
pag<http://www.flickr.com/photos/24369838@N07/sets/72157635032397740/>e,
the list starts with the first photo you see.

1574: Least sandpiper seems to be the consensus.
1675: Spotted, maybe winter plumage?
1688: No guesses yet
1713: One guess for semipalmated sandpiper, one guess for Least.
1746: Consensus is Dowitcher; no one so far ventured a guess as to whether
it's short-billed or long-billed.
1758: Guesses have included Solitary or Yellowlegs. I was thinking Solitary
originally.
1781: Spotted
1814: No guesses given
1853: Guesses included Least, Semipalmated and Western. So far, Western
seems to be the consensus.
1858: Spotted
1969: Consensus is Pectoral

For the non-shore birds:
1984: Red-winged blackbirds. Maybe young? Maybe female? Maybe young
females? I had previous pictures of female rwbs that didn't seem to look
like this (but that was back in the spring, so different plumage, I guess?)
so I'd never have guessed that's what these were. Several though
meadowlark, which had been my initial thought until I realized the beak was
all wrong.

1987: Juvenile Starling. This was actually my initial thought because of
the beak. But again, just last week, I was at Eagle Bend and saw a MUCH
larger bird that looked TOTALLY different from this one that also turned
out to be a juvenile starling, so that threw me. Interesting how quickly,
and completely, their plumage can change.

Thanks again to everyone for their input. If I get further confirmations or
IDs on some that are still PBDKs, I'll give an update. (NOTE: PBDK is my
own designation for unknown birds--it stands for "Pretty Bird; Don't Know."
:D )

Sharon Monett
Knoxville, TN