[TN-Bird] Eagle Bend Fish Hatchery

  • From: "Carole Gobert" <cpgobert@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 10 Aug 2005 14:31:45 -0400

I took a long lunch break today and paid a brief visit to the Eagle Bend Fish Hatchery in Clinton (Anderson County) Tennessee as I was curious to see the immature snowy egret. I wasn't disappointed. It is still there. I found it on a pond to the left as you drive in... 4 ponds back from the road (one that has water in it) along with an immature great blue heron and an immature and adult green heron.

There were killdeer everywhere, mourning doves, about two dozen Mallards in eclipse plumage, & just a handful of Canada Geese, and while I did see two shorebirds, I didn't get much of a look at either, didn't have time to try for a better look, and am pretty lame at iding shore birds in any case.

On the upper pond at the water near the pipe where Allan Trently suggested looking for shorebirds, there were two adult green herons and a killdeer. A great blue heron was fishing at the other end and 17 Mallards were swimming around (I included these in the two dozed mentioned earlier).

Carole Gobert, Knoxville, Knox County, Tennessee

TN-Bird Net is owned by the Tennessee Ornithological Society Neither the society(TOS) nor its moderator(s)