[THIN] Novell Integration

  • From: "Craig M. Luchtefeld" <craig@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 5 Sep 2003 07:55:51 -0500

Does anyone have any thoughts about which Novell integration route is better
-- the ZENWorks/Dynamic Local User route or the simultaneous Windows 2000
domain route with dual accounts?

I've got a school I'm working with, approximately 1500 students with the
environment holding anywhere from 150-200 concurrent sessions.  We're still
in the 'testing' phase, so we can still go either route for deployment.  My
problem with the Windows 2000/Novell route is that they're going to have to
create two accounts for every student, we're going to have to sync/reset all
their passwords, and they're going to have one more point of failure (if the
DC goes down).

Honestly, I need to read up a bit more on how the ZENWorks deal works, but
if its creating a dynamic local user, my thought is how are roaming profiles
going to work?

Anyway, has anyone had the opportunity to take a look at both of these
pieces and examine the advantages/disadvantages to both?  From the Advanced
Guide for FR3, I saw the integration steps for them both, but if I remember
correctly, it didn't state advantages/disadvantages to either.

Thanks in advance,

Craig