[THIN] Re: Novell Integration

  • From: Mobeen Azhar <moby@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 09 Sep 2003 13:06:49 -0500

We are using Novell eDirectory, ZfD (ZenWorks for Desktops) in a very large terminal server + Citrix MetaFrame environement without any major issues. The product works great, and Novell's ZenWorks has been a big help in getting applications, especially ones that have a large and complex user piece, easily and quickly distributed to Windows NT and 2000 terminal servers. The terminal servers are divided between some that are in NT domains and some that in AD. No issues with either side as far as any software from Novell is concerned.

So far we have not implemented any type of password synchronization between Novell's eDirectory and Microsoft's AD, although my tests in a lab setting have been successfull in delivering what Novell "says on paper". We do synchronize credentials between Novell's eDirectory and NT domains using Novell's Account Management product.

The nice thing we have found with ZfD is that the application effort expended for our desktops (10,000+) does not have to be repeated for integrating the same applications on our Citrix/Terminal servers. We can use the same ZfD application object on both desktops and terminal servers with very minor modifications.

--Moby

PS: Regarding the comment "Novell has decided NetWare is dead" by Ron Oglesby, I am not sure if Ron works for Novell to know that. Either way, I am sure you are not developing applications on NetWare. Services traditionally associated with NetWare have been available on non-NetWare platforms for quite some time. One really uses products such eDirectory, ZenWorks, etc. One really does not do much with NetWare itself. While people might argue whether NetWare development is going to continue or not (the vendor, Novell, says it will continue), these other applications have been ported to non-NetWare operating systems. One of the coolest things I like about ZfD is that it can be run in a totally non-NetWare environemnt - pure 100% Windows.

Matt Kosht wrote:

I pulled the trigger on Zen/Novell route myself this past weekend. Still chasing down problems (printing mostly). Zen on paper looks great in practice very buggy/problematic. Also had some apps that had to map drive letters to Windows servers that's fun w/o any Windows credentials.
Microsoft has a product called Metadirectory service that can supposedly sync the two directories AD and eDirectory.
I am thinking that might be the best option to solve this dilemma.
I am just wishing I could have pulled the plug on Novell altogether and went pure AD but as John Belushi would say "Buuuttt Nooooo!".

>>> craig@xxxxxxxxxxxx 9/9/2003 12:25:01 AM >>>
BTW, I decided to go the AD/Novell route without the Zenworks piece. It's going
to be a terrible pain, though, over the next few days as everyone has to sync
their Novell password with their new Windows password. That's only 1500
students I get to deal with in a two day span.

What's even better about this setup is almost every app either has some video,
audio or COM port mapping that goes along with it. Woooot!

Quoting craig@xxxxxxxxxxxx:

> How did I know that you were going to respond?
>
> I might take a look at both solutions, then, this weekend. I need to get
> moving on this and I'm afraid that the Windows route is going to be a bit too
>
> burdensome. At this point in time, the school has no plans to move from
> NetWare any time soon. Actually, their servers have been rock solid and have
>
> had no problems since their inception (knock on wood).
>
> I know NetWare enough to do whatever I need in NWAdmin. Outside of that,
> though, I have to rely on others. We do have two guys though, that know
> Novell
> stuff inside and out. So, I'm not too worried about the support.
>
> My biggest concern is not that one of these routes wont work - I know that
> they
> will. My concern is about simplicity. Their "administrator" doesnt know
> much
> in the way of network administration and thankfully she knows as much. What
> want is to be able to leave this project and know that Im not going to get a
>
> call every 4 hours on how to do such and such. By adding in the Windows
> component, I know that things will get a bit more complex than they would
> have
> with the ZENWorks route.
>
> Anyway, thanks for the input. Ill take a look at the DLU/Zenworks deal a bit
>
> more today.
>
> Quoting Ron Oglesby <roglesby@xxxxxxxxxxxx>:
>
> > Craig, Long time no see, or hear.....
> > Anyway, the Netware piece works but is not in use as much as the windows
> > stuff obviously. So when something breaks or doesn't work it is hard to
> > find help (or even good support) on it.
> >
> > If you don't know novell doing this is problematic. I have a real good
> > novel guy on my team so it doesn't scrare me. But if I didn't I would
> > recommend Windows every time.
> >
> > I guess the question is that if you HAVE to implement this and no one
> > else you still have to do what is best for the customer. If they don't
> > want windows use netware just be prepared to LEARN a lot.
> >
> > BTW the roaming profile is assigned as a User attribute just like NT/2K
> > and DLU handles creating the local user and setting up profiles etc....
> >
> > PS> Novell has decided netware is dead. No more development for that
> > network OS. Instead all of their development if for Linux. Why stay with
> > a dead product.
> >

> > Ron Oglesby
> > Senior Technical Architect
> > Office 312.372.7188
> > Mobile 815.325.7618
> > email roglesby@xxxxxxxxxxxx

------------------------------------------------- This mail sent through IMP: http://horde.org/imp/ ******************************************************** This Week's Sponsor: ThinPrint http://www.thinprint.com ********************************************************** Useful Thin Client Computing Links are available at: http://thethin.net/links.cfm

-- --Moby

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. -- Benjamin Franklin

First they came for the Jews and I did not speak out because I was not a Jew.
Then they came for the Communists and I did not speak out because I was not a Communist.
Then they came for the trade unionists and I did not speak out because I was not a trade unionist.
Then they came for me and there was no one left to speak out for me. -- Pastor Martin Niemöller